Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My 2009 Top 10 List

Drum roll please, Maestro...

This week at tm3am.com, I unveiled my 2009 top 10 list. It's a remarkably serious-minded list this year, and it contains three rock operas and a further two concept albums, which makes me giddy with hope for the future. Even in the middle of the download storm, great artists are still making great music, and they're making it in full-album form. My #1 choice for the year is an hour-long song that can't be excerpted. Take that, singles-driven market!

But more than that, these 10 albums moved me and made me fall in love with music again this year, and for that, I am grateful. I'm also grateful for the chance to share this music with all of you. Thank you so much for reading this silly column in 2009. That said, I'm sure many of you can tell me where I went wrong, and I'd love to see your lists for 2009. Click on over to read mine, then come back here to leave me yours.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, enjoyed your list (and of course the articles throughout the year). Considering that your theme for this year was serious and contemplative, I'm a bit surprised that there was not a single mention of the new Mountain Goats record (The Life Of The World To Come). They had an appearance on the Colbert Report this year, so I was hoping their exposuer would increase, but since their album definitely warranted at least a passing mention, you must not be aware of them =)
    Again, thanks for taking the time to write the column, and have a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading it! I didn't mention the Mountain Goats because I've never really liked them. I didn't pick up the new one, but I will give it a listen. I've just never heard a John Darnielle song I've loved. But I'll try again! Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andre: Glad you survived 2009, and hopefully 2010 will be less stressful on the job front. You asked for your readers' top 10 lists, so here is mine:

    10. Muse - The Resistance
    9. Death Cab for Cutie - The Open Door (EP)
    8. A.C. Newman - Get Guilty
    7. Dead Weather - Horehound
    6. Chris Cornell - Scream (because he has to be on SOMEONE's list)
    5. Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the GGK
    4. Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
    3. Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
    2. Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
    1. Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown

    I enjoyed reading your column throughout the year. Have a safe rest of the holiday! KV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ken! Good list - I heard and enjoyed everything on it. (Even Chris Cornell. I think you and I are the only ones who liked that thing!) Thanks much. I hope 2010 is kind to you as well. I'll be in touch!

    ReplyDelete