Wednesday, July 1, 2009

New Column: Hypecasting (2009 Edition)

I don't mean to be contrary. Honestly, I don't. But in this week's column at tm3am, my target is critical acclaim - specifically, the acclaim lavished on two new records. They are Bitte Orca, by the Dirty Projectors, and Veckatimest, by Grizzly Bear.

If you're like most people, you're probably wondering just who these bands are. But if you're in the indie-rock hypecasting circles, you know these two albums have all but been anointed the best of 2009. The idea of taking them together came from Derek Wright, who examined both in his new Liner Notes Magazine podcast. He's absolutely right - the indie press is knocking themselves out to praise these two albums. I started hearing best-of-the-year buzz on Veckatimest in November, for cripe's sake.

Click on over to tm3am.com to see what I thought of them. You'll also find a defense of Michael Jackson's place in pop culture, and the Second Quarter Report - basically, what my 2009 top 10 list would look like if I were forced to finalize it now. Come on back here and leave me some comments when you're finished. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment