Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Column: You Say You Want a Revelation

Okay, kids, here's the big Beatles column. 4,991 words, all about the remastered editions of the Fab Four's 13 albums (and one singles compilation). I've been fully immersed in these discs for a week now, and they're masterpieces. I realized, looking back through my archive, that apart from a couple of references to Sgt. Pepper as the Best Album Ever, I hadn't gone on record with my thoughts about each Beatles record. So I've taken the time to correct that oversight this week, and tell you about the vast improvements in sound quality and detail in these new editions. Short version: it's so very worth your $200.

Click on over to read this monstrosity, then come on back here to leave me a comment.

6 comments:

  1. "Sgt. Pepper" is the first album I ever bought with my own money (I caught a piece on the news about the 20th anniversary CD release and a lot of talking heads saying it was the greatest album of all time, so I figured I should check it out) and I listened to almost nothing but the Beatles from 6th grade til midway through 8th grade when I discovered R.E.M. and punk rock, which I loved in a more personal way. The Beatles, obviously, belong to everybody.

    Now I don't know whether to get the stereo box or get the mono box and pick up "Abbey Road" as a single disc. DECISIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll tell you, I am not in the least disappointed with my stereo box purchase. I do want to hear the first few albums in mono, though. And thanks for the catch on "Beethoven." Fixed it in the column.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a moot point for now, anyway. I can't shell out the cash for this until after my New Zealand trip (mid-October) and by that point I may as well put it on the Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got six of these for my birthday: A Hard Days' Night, Help, Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, and Let it Be. Most of these I never had on CD, I still listened to cassettes (I know that's probably horrifying to you). It's quite fun listening for the differences (there certainly are a lot of hand claps I never knew were there).

    I've always had real soft spot for "Let it Be." It's mostly from the movie, there's such a sadness to the movie, but I still love the older-sounding songs like "Two of Us" and the nostalgia factor. Of course the title song is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete