Friday, February 5, 2010

First Listen: Motion City Soundtrack, My Dinosaur Life

On the pop-punk spectrum, Motion City Soundtrack are much more pop than punk. That's a good thing, because it means they write interesting songs, instead of bashing out the same three or four chords the Sex Pistols used. It also means their albums have little more on their minds than being clever and fun, two things I wholeheartedly endorse.

Their fourth record, My Dinosaur Life, is both. It's their first on a major label, and despite being produced by Mark Hoppus of Blink-182, there's nothing tired about it. "A Lifeless Ordinary" should be a hit, but every song here is melodic and punchy and danceable. True, it gets a bit samey as it goes along, but as it clocks in under 40 minutes, it never wears out its welcome.

Plus, I just love the idea of a song called "Her Words Destroyed My Planet." I hope I'm never too old to enjoy fun little records like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment