Thursday, January 10, 2013

Reasons to be Cheerful: 2013

So in this week's column, I made a big deal about curtailing my breathless enthusiasm for upcoming records in the early part of this year. But I can't resist mentioning a few that I'm excited about.

The Joy Formidable, Wolf's Law. One of my favorite new bands returns with their second record, and what I've heard of it - the singles "Cholla" and "This Ladder is Ours" - is tremendous. Imagine if Billy Corgan let D'Arcy sing on Siamese Dream, and you kind of have the idea. Only this is better.

Camper Van Beethoven, La Costa Perdida. Every time this band gets together, it's an event. Granted, that last event, 2004's New Roman Times, was a confused and meandering thing, but I still have high hopes for this new one. Apparently there's a heavy Beach Boys influence, which in my house can only be a good thing. More here.

Eels, Wonderful, Glorious. This will be the first Eels album since their mammoth trilogy from 2009 and 2010. I really don't need to know anything more - I'll buy anything E puts his name (well, his initial) to. You just know it's going to be great. More on Eels, including a new song, "New Alphabet," here.

THREE Quiet Company releases. The band behind my number one album of 2011 plans a huge return this year, with two full-length albums and an EP. Hopefully the plan comes to fruition. Three CDs of QuietCo songs? Sign me up. Get all your Quiet Company needs here.

More to come. Get excited! 






No comments:

Post a Comment