Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New Column: Little, Big

This week at tm3am.com I looked at two bands that have taken exact opposite paths.

Pearl Jam started as one of the biggest bands in the world, and have since worked overtime to get smaller, a feat they appear to have finally achieved on Backspacer, their ninth album. Meanwhile, Muse started so small that they were insignificant, but they've expanded their sound and scope each time out, to the point where The Resistance, their fifth effort, may be 2009's most ambitious record. Both of these albums are very good, which proves it's about individual comfort levels - Eddie Vedder and company just aren't as cozy with the idea of being enormous as Matt Bellamy and his cohorts.

Anyway, click on over to read my reviews, as well as a small glimpse of what's been going on in my life lately, and then head back here to leave me a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough, I heard Muse before I heard Radiohead, and so I actually quite enjoy the earlier albums. I've heard The Resistance, but I haven't had time to study it, but I really like it so far.

    I've never listened to Pearl Jam.

    And, shamefully, I'm not that familiar with Queen either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming you're interested:

    With Pearl Jam, you should start at the beginning and work forwards. As soon as you start to get bored, jump ahead to the self-titled and Backspacer. With Queen, I'd start with the early stuff too - get Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races. That should be enough to convince you if you want to keep going.

    The Resistance continues to impress me.

    Thanks for the comment! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete