Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Column: Happiness is the Road

I've been a Lost Dogs fan for a long, long time. There's a real sense of history to what they do now, and like any lengthy catalog, that history can seem like a wall. I feel like I may have focused on it a bit much in earlier reviews of Lost Dogs albums, and made people feel that if they hadn't been along for the 30-plus-year ride with Terry Taylor, Mike Roe and Derri Daugherty, they wouldn't get it. And that might have kept a few people away.

I want you all to hear Old Angel, the latest Lost Dogs album, so for the most part, I kept that history out of this week's tm3am.com review. Suffice it to say that the Dogs, now a foursome with drummer Steve Hindalong, took to the famous Route 66 in 2008, searching for God and America. And they wrote a bunch of songs, the best they've written in a long time. That's Old Angel, and I love it to bits.

I also love the new Hammock and Mark Eitzel albums, and don't like the new National so much. All those reviews, plus my #2 album of the 2000s, are in this week's column. Come on back here to leave me a comment when you're done.

If you want more info on the Lost Dogs and their respective members, go here, and here, and here, and also here.

2 comments:

  1. Saw the Dogs on the third date of their current tour in Raleigh,NC.They were fantastic!!!I agree with your review of the new disc,and will only add that the live performances of the new material might even be better than the studio versions.
    If they're anywhere near you on this current tour make every effort to catch them.You'll be more than glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving the Dogs love. They are a prime example of how to live artistic life fully while always having to watch that bottom line and that next tank of gas.

    They are lucky to have a fine music critic like yourself on their side.

    ReplyDelete