Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reasons to be Cheerful: Kerosene Halo

So I'm headed to Cornerstone again next week. This year's fest promises to be a different kind of experience - lots of old-school Christian rockers are scheduled to take the main stage, including Petra (with original singer Greg X. Volz), Randy Stonehill and Rez Band. And while I'm curious to see all of those, I only go to Cornerstone for one reason: to catch up with that little pocket of spiritual pop I love so dearly. The one that includes Daniel Amos, the Choir, the Lost Dogs and the 77s, among others.

This year, Mike Roe of the 77s and Derri Daugherty of the Choir are unveiling their new project, Kerosene Halo. It's been a great couple of years for Daugherty lovers - two Choir albums, a solo record, and now this. And Mike Roe, well, he's always been prolific and amazing. So now two of my favorite voices (and guitar players) have joined forces for a record that is, quite frankly, gorgeous.

It's mostly covers, including tunes from Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits, and two from Daniel Amos mastermind Terry Taylor. But just listen to the voices intertwine, the beautiful atmosphere this thing conjures. No, seriously, go listen. You can hear all of Kerosene Halo's debut album for free. I think it's wonderful, and I can't wait to see them play this stuff live.

No comments:

Post a Comment