Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New Column: Martin, Squared

How many bands can one man juggle?

That's the question on tap this week at tm3am.com. The spotlight this time is on Jason Martin, who has long been one of my favorite songwriters. He's unjustly obscure, but it's not for lack of trying: Martin's in four bands right now, including his main gig Starflyer 59, his keep-it-in-the-family projects Bon Voyage and The Brothers Martin, and his new (and awesome) '80s trash-rock band, Neon Horse. I review new things from Starflyer and Neon Horse, and talk about the different sides to Martin's artistic personality.

Of course, as soon as I finished and posted it, I thought of several more artists juggling three bands or more. Terry Taylor, for example, who is in Daniel Amos, the Swirling Eddies, and the Lost Dogs, and maintains a solo career as well. And there's Spencer Krug, possibly the busiest man in indie rock - he's in Wolf Parade, Swan Lake and Sunset Rubdown, and plays with a bunch of other acts as well. Any more I missed?

Click on over to read the column, then come back here and leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment