Sunday, June 7, 2009

First Listen: Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

So I first encountered the dazzling leadoff track "Lisztomania" by watching this mashup, and that may have colored my opinion. I love this video, and the song goes with it so well. Happily, even divorced from a bunch of giddy images from my childhood, "Lisztomania" holds up. And the rest of Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is pretty awesome as well.

My favorite is "1901," but this entire album is just swell dance-rock, with a gentle edge. The surprise is "Love Like a Sunrise," with its five-minute instrumental "Part I" and its one-minute lullaby "Part II," but that's the only thing here that won't make you want to get up and dance. I'd never heard of Phoenix before this, but this record's a lot of fun - lightweight, but satisfying. It probably won't edge Tinted Windows for my "Most Fun of 2009" award, but I like it a lot.

Favorite song on first listen: "1901."

2 comments:

  1. I love Phoenix! I've been singing their praises before they even knew they were a band! :-)
    Great album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I Ever Feel Better", off their first album, is their finest moment.

    Phoenix are playing Boston next Wednesday - they are great live.

    ReplyDelete